Meghalaya’s energy minister has denied allegations of an ED raid on the MECL office.
Shillong: Meghalaya Power Minister Press Stone Tyne Song on Wednesday rejected a report in a local newspaper about raids and confiscation of documents from the MECL office.
The energy minister called the news in the local newspaper baseless.
A report was published on Wednesday stating that the headquarters of Meghalaya Energy Corporation Limited (MeECL) had been raided by the Enforcement Directorate (ED) and documents related to the implementation of the sub-divisional scheme had been seized.
The Energy Minister claimed that communication between the Enforcement Directorate and MECL has been going on since October 2021. He urged the media to verify the facts before publishing any news.
He said that a formal communication between ED and MECL took place between October and November 2020 in which the ED had sought clarification on necessary requirements and documents. He said that MECL has sought all relevant documents and information.
When asked what documents were requested, Tian Song declined to provide information but said that all the documents requested had been submitted.
He agreed that through the ED it could be a procedure that if an RTI or a complaint was lodged, they would send a communication to any department seeking clarification. He further added that the documents being sought could be related to the CAG report.
Regarding the delay in making public the independent inquiry report submitted on March 30, Tin Song said that the report was submitted to the government under the Department of Political Affairs. The report is being studied by the department and then it will be sent to the power department.